Moroccan Nights: In Progress

 

As of this posting I'm nearly done with my Moroccan Nights sweater! Still to do: knit half a sleeve, rework the ribbing at the bottom of the body, and knit an applied i-chord around the neckline. Sounds like a lot but I think I can get 'er done this week.

I am having so much fun knitting this sweater! The pattern is excellent and the combinations of stockinette, garter, cables, and double moss are keeping me glued to my work. There's no getting bored with this baby! 

Still, as per usual, there are a couple things I'm wishing I'd done differently at the outset:

  1. Use a smaller needle. I did knit up a swatch for this project and I achieved the correct gauge (size 6 needles with about 1 inch positive ease on an XS). But after doing the sleeves with a size 4 needle so that they'd fit more closely to my arm, I'm kind of wishing that I'd done the whole body with a size 5. That said, I'm a fan of the roomy pull-over (a la James). It all looks a-okay when I try it on (the finished look is supposed to be drapey), but I can't help thinking "what if?" Luckily the thought isn't strong enough to make me frog the body and start over again!
  2. Get creative with the body shaping. I took the liberty of decreasing at my own pace on the sleeves (with great success) and I wish I'd done the same with the body. The part that comes out of the side cables is a little too loose (you can see it below where the stockinette and d-moss meet) and it's bugging me. Actually, on further inspection I should be able to fix this in the blocking phase. The cables/stockinette along the sides pull in the fabric so that it poofs out when the cables end. I'll just block the heck out of the sides and hope for the best!

All in all, this is a fantastic project and I know it will get a lot of wear! For pictures of the original sweater click here.